Leather, Suede, & Fur Cleaning Near San Francisco
Mulberrys & GreenStreets Cleaners of San Francisco and surrounding areas doesn’t cease its advanced cleaning technologies with linens and wedding gowns. Our toxin-free cleaning expertise branches out to even the finest materials such as suede, leather and fur. While these may be some of the most expensive and treasured materials and fabrics, these can also be some of the hardest to care for.
Jackets, briefcases, pants and accessories are made from leather, suede or fur, and they each require a different method to properly clean, repair and protect them. Cleaning these fabrics at home can possibly damage the material beyond repair. At-home cleaning solutions could either stain these materials or dry them out afterwards, leaving you with weathered-looking or hard, cracked leather.
Mulberrys & GreenStreets’ well-trained experts know how to treat stains as well as repair scratches, scuffs and natural wear-and-tear to your leather, suede and fur garments. Our environmentally friendly techniques ensure your items will come back looking like new. Guaranteed or we’ll do it over, free of charge.
Leather garments are valuable investments and get an incredible amount of use out of their owners. They’re both durable and versatile and have been fashion staples through decades. Some repairs we can make to your leather, suede, fur or shearling garments include:
- Mending rips and tears
- Mending torn lining
- Repairing ripped or splitting seams
- Replacing pockets
- Replacing broken zippers
- Repairing broken or missing buttons, snaps and clasps
Fur coats and accessories should be inspected yearly for damage, wear spots, tears, etc. San Francisco winters are tough on our fine fabrics. These items should also be brought to your local Mulberrys & GreenStreets Cleaners for a proper cleaning. The longer a fur garment isn’t cared for, the harder it may be to restore or clean. Between checks, though, here are some tips for fur garment at-home care.
- Only place your fur garment in a cloth garment bag. Whatever you do, don’t store your fine fur in a plastic garment bag. Fur and its underlying leather need to breathe to stay supple or soft. A plastic garment bag will not breathe to provide adequate space or air for your fur.
- Use a broad-shouldered hanger. A broad-shouldered hanger made of wood or thick plastic should be used instead of thin plastic or wire hangers. A broad-shouldered hanger will help a heavy fur coat maintain its shape. A thin wire hanger could make a fur coat become misshapen at the shoulders. Also be sure to leave enough room around your fur garment in a closet so it isn’t being pressed between neighboring garments on the clothes rack.
- Minimize wear spots. As fun as it is to wear fur, it takes just a little bit of extra attention to wear it properly. What this means is knowing how to treat the garment while wearing it so it lasts far into the future. You can avoid wear spots on your fur coats and jackets by removing them before sitting on a chair with a back, refraining from continuously carrying bags or purses against one particular spot, not rubbing the elbows of the garments on counters or tabletops excessively, or rubbing/handling any one spot of the coat too much. Not only will too much rubbing wear in one spot cause more “bald” areas than in others, it will also cause your fur to become dirty or matted.
- Avoid using cleaners at home. Don’t use store-bought cleaners or common at-home cleaners or stain removers. These types of cleaners or sprays aren’t meant for furs. Using these types of sprays could cause irrevocable damage to your fur garments. Instead, always bring your fur to an establishment with the proper tools and knowledge to clean and restore your furs at a professional level. Mulberrys & GreenStreets Cleaners staffs experts in care for your fur garments, so you can always trust it’s a job well-done.
- Don’t comb or brush your fur garment. While it may seem like a useful and free fix to untangling long or matted fur, avoid combing or brushing these pieces. You could yank out pieces of fur or put unnecessary strain on the leather beneath.
- Avoid pinning jewelry or brooches to your furs. While jewelry and brooches may be fantastic accessories, try to withhold from pinning them to your fur coats or garments. The fewer holes you place in your garments, the better for its lifespan.
Our experts at Mulberrys & GreenStreets Cleaners of San Francisco will always treat your garments with the best care possible. We’ll check your leather, fur, suede and shearling garments for excessive wear and tear. We’ll examine areas that experience the most use, such as the shoulders, front, closure and pockets. Any rips or tears that need to be repaired will be so as discreetly as possible. If we can, we’ll repair outer tears from the inside to disguise the damage and repair.
Items crafted of leather and fur can last for decades, so before you throw away worn-looking items, try cleaning and repairing them first. You’ll be astonished at our immaculate capabilities when it comes to treating your investments. If you’re in the San Francisco areas, bring your leather, suede and fur to any of our seven Mulberrys & GreenStreets Cleaners locations. We’ll be more than happy to discuss your options and how we can help you. If you’re a delivery customer, simply place your items in your Mulberrys & GreenStreets express bag.
Since this is a fairly time-consuming process to properly clean and treat your leather, suede and fur items, please allow 2–3 weeks for your order to be returned. Actual time needed depends on the severity and processes needed to get your order back to looking fresh, clean and new.